WHO MAY RIDE:
According to established practice in the Trumansburg Central School District, students in Pre-K through 4th grade that live one-half mile or more from school, are entitled to ride the bus. In grade five thru twelve, students who live one mile or more from school are entitled to ride the bus. The only exceptions to these rules are for severely handicapped children and for a student suffering a temporary, serious, physical impediment in walking, such as a broken leg. (This will need to be approved by the Committee on Special Education).
WALKING DISTANCE TO A BUS STOP:
The distance that a student may be required to walk from his/her home to his assigned bus stop will be as follows:
- no more than one-tenth of a mile if the bus goes by your driveway. This distance is measured from your driveway to the assigned bus stop;
- no more than two tenths of a mile if the bus does not travel your road and does not go by your driveway to the nearest designated bus stop.
From time to time, requests are made for students to be picked up or dropped off at a different place than his/her normal schedule. Arrangements can be made by contacting the Director of Facilities, Joe Magliocca. He is permitted to allow such students to ride a school bus provided:
1) the existing load on the bus is less than the seating capacity of the bus, and
2) the child boards the bus at an already established bus stop or potentially a stop along a route.
PLEASE NOTE, NO NEW BUS STOP WILL BE CREATED FOR SUCH A SPECIAL ARRANGEMENT, EVEN IF THE STUDENT MUST WALK MORE THAN ONE-TENTH OF A MILE.
BEHAVIOR ON THE BUS:
Riding a bus is a privilege, not a right. Good behavior by the student is an absolute requirement to maintain this privilege. Bad behavior creates a safety hazard for all occupants of the bus and will not be tolerated. The following are the basic bus rules:
- follow the bus driver’s instructions;
- for safety, do NOT distract the bus driver in any way;
- be courteous – no profanity, pushing, or fighting;
- keep bus clean – no eating, drinking, or smoking;
- do NOT be destructive to the bus or equipment;
- stay seated until the bus stops;
- keep head, hands, and feet inside the bus;
- do not bring pets, flammable material, or objects too large for you to hold in your seat;
- cell phone use while the bus is in motion is not permitted.